Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Pea-Cilantro-Rice

So I needed a change to my rice...I have tried brown rice, white rice, wild rice, rice pilaf....etc.  I found this recipe in Martha Stewart Living (I love this magazine...there are always so many great recipes...I will probably share them all).  Just smelling the cilantro makes me think of summer...add in some peas and you are set.  Hope you enjoy!



Ingredients:
1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (save the stems)
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, mined
1/4 tsp chili powder
coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
1 cup long-grain rice
1 1/2 cup water
1 cup peas (fresh or frozen)

Directions:
tie together reserved cilantro stems with kitchen twine (I didn't have the twine, so I used on of the stems to tie it together)
Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat
Cook onion and garlic, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 8 minutes
Add chili powder and season with salt and pepper, cook for 1 minute
Add rice, stir to coat
Add cilantro-stem bundle and water.
Bring to a boil
Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer, until water is absorbed...about 15 minutes
Remove from heat, add peas (do not mix)
Cover and let stand for 10 minutes
Remove cilantro-stem bundle
Stir in cilantro leaves
Serve warm

1 comment: