Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Apples

An apple a day, keeps the doctor way....

Did you know there are almost 2,000 different varieties of apples??? 



However, in the grocery store, there are usually about 10 different varieties available....seems a little off, doesn't it??  Though, some of these varieties are in Europe, Africa, South America, and Australia.

I was able to find 8 different types at my grocery store...so I decided to bring them home and decide which kind I like best. 

Red Delicious, Gala, Golden Delicious, McIntosh, Pink Lady, Braeburn, Jonagold, Fuji.

I always buy the Gala apples...because the sign by them states they are great for snacking and have a thin skin, making it easy for kids to enjoy.  But really, these are not my favorite. 

I grew up on red delicious apples, loved the crunch they made when bit into.  These are still as wonderful as I remembered them...but I am not quite ready to label them as my favorite.

I tried the rest of the apples...they all had distinct flavors and smells.  But among them, I could not pick a favorite.  I mean, how can I choose which apple is my favorite, when I haven't tried them all. 

On the website:  http://www.allaboutapples.com/, you can find listings of the 2,000 varieties of apples and local apple orchards.  I was surprised to find how many are in my area.  I think this will be a field trip for the kids and I.  Maybe then I can find my favorite apple..I am sure it is out there somewhere.

What is your favorite apple??



1 comment: