Friday, May 7, 2010

Asparagus Risotto

I've eaten risotto several times at restaurants, but could not bring myself to cook it at home.  Every time I think of risotto I think of Hell's Kitchen.  They make risotto all of the time, however, I do not want to be the one getting yelled at by Gordon Ramsay as to why it is undercooked, mushy, too salty, not enough salt or whatever may come out of his mouth.  I mean. my goodness, these are chefs and they aren't able to make risotto most of the time, so how can I? 

Well, I decided that since Gordon isn't stopping by my kitchen anytime soon, I might as well give it a try.  I googled several recipes and finally settled on 3 different ones (and then I combined them to make them my own). 

Here is my version of Asparagus Risotto:

10 spears of Asparagus
1/4 cup chicken broth

1 cup Arborio rice
3 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 1/2 cups chicken broth (you could also use veggie broth)
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, finely shredded
salt and pepper


*Trim off woody ends of asparagus
*cut asparagus into 1 inch pieces
*In a medium sauce pan, bring water to a boil.
*boil asparagus for 4 minutes
*remove from boiling water and put into an ice bath (to stop the cooking process and keep that beautiful green color)
*in a blender (or food processor), combine 1/4 cup broth and asparagus.  Puree.



Here comes the "hard part".  You have to constantly stir the rice...DO NOT STOP!!



*in a large sauce pan, heat butter on medium heat
*add onions, saute for 3 minutes
*add rice, stirring for 2 minutes
*stir in 1 cup of broth.  Continue cooking and stirring until liquid is absorbed.
*gradually stir in remaining broth, 1 cup at a time, cooking and stirring until liquid is absorbed before adding the next cup.
*add in the asparagus puree.  keep stirring!!  continue to stir and cook for 3 minutes
*add in the Parmesan cheese
*add salt and pepper to taste
*serve immediately


While I didn't have Chef Ramsay at my dinner table, I did have 3 little kids.  Ethan, who is 6, decided before he tried it that he wouldn't like it.  I finally was able to convince him to take just one bite...and he loved it.  He even asked for seconds!!!!   The twins, who are 1, well they eat just about anything I put in front of them.  It was a success!! 

Risotto is one of those flexible dishes that could be a side or main dish....or you could even have it for breakfast or dessert.  It all depends on what you add to it.   Try it with mushrooms, red peppers, peas, shrimp, chicken, pineapple and coconut milk...the list is endless.

Don't worry, I am sure I will have more risotto recipes for you in the future. 



No comments:

Post a Comment