Tuesday, May 4, 2010

snickerdoodle cookies

Last week, we headed over to Rita's for a Saturday night treat. Ethan and Chris absolutely love Rita's Ice...I on the other hand don't care for it. So while the guys munched down on their Rita's, I headed over to Mimi's Bakery (which is conveniently located just across the street). If you haven't made it to Mimi's yet, it is well worth the trip. They have cookies, cakes, pastries, cupcakes, fruit tarts, etc...truly a sugar haven. Once inside, I couldn't decide what I wanted...it all looked and smelled so delicious.

After much debate, I went for the snickerdoodle cookie.

It was a cinnamon-sugary...soft, crunchy and so YUMMY!! It has been years since I have had a snickerdoodle. Ethan, upon seeing my cookies, asked what it was. Could it be...I had never made snickerdoodle cookies for him? I guess not. I usually make chocolate chip (I know that recipe by heart) and oatmeal. But snickerdoodle...I don't think I have ever made these.

So I decided we would make a batch together. Ethan was so excited. He loves to help in the kitchen (usually making a big mess, but having lots of fun). He measured all of the ingredients and mixed them together. I think his favorite was rolling the dough in the cinnamon-sugar mix.



After we were done, we sat down with a glass of milk and our snickerdoodle cookies. mmm...like a little round chunk of heaven.




Snickerdoodle Recipe:

1/2 cup butter - softened
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour

4 Tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon

*preheat over to 375
*in a medium bowl, beat the butter on medium speed for 30 seconds
*add 1 cup sugar, baking soda, and cream of tartar. beat until combined.
*add egg and vanilla. beat until well blended
*add flour. use mixer as much as you can, then mix by hand.
*cover with plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour
*combine 4 Tbsp sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
*shape the dough into 1 inch balls and rolls in the cinnamon-sugar to coat
*place on an ungreased cookie sheet
*bake for 11 minutes or until edges are golden
*transfer to a wire rack and cool.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment